Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Snake on my head

A few weeks ago, I had my first horrifying Florida experience. This place is full of bugs, snakes and alligators. Since I hate and fear all of the above, it's hard to believe I have survived a year plus in this place. The bugs have freaked me out, I've screamed like a little kid, but I had to get over it. Typically it's just me and Evan in the house and he surely isn't going to kill a spider. So, to be honest, really getting over it was getting a bug person. Thank God. 

Anyway, I digress. I keep forgetting to share this story, but Evan thinks it's so funny, he keeps reminding me. "Mom, remember when the snake fell on your head?" Well yes I do, I will never forget.

I opened the front door to walk outside when a snake fell in front of my face and into my house. I screamed louder than I think I ever have in my life and slammed the door shut. In doing so, I shut the snake in the door, it's head half outside and it's tail half inside my house. It was still very much alive and very much wiggling all around. I was freaking out and Evan who was on the couch (thankfully) began crying hysterically. Being the absolute wimp that I am, I grabbed Evan, ran out the garage and went to find the nice man building the house across the street from me. I begged him in my broken Spanish to please come over and help me and he came with a wrench and a PVC pipe. He was able to grab the snake with his wrench and throw it somewhere. So for you animal lovers, the snake should be safely in snake land (my yard probably). My friend Jen showed up just as this happy story was coming to an end and looked at my face and asked very concerned if I was okay. I know I looked like I had just seen a ghost. So, I guess the snake was hanging out in the overhang over my front door, which is really encouraging because this story could have many sequels..... I don't know what color it was, or what kind of snake. It was about 9-12 inches long and was skinny. I'm sure it was harmless, but really, did it have to fall on my head (almost)?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh!!! what a story ~ i would have completely freaked out too...i'm the same, i hate bugs, and houston is bug central (especially cockroaches, ugh!). I'm glad though, that your neighbor was able to help you out.

TSmith said...

That is hilarious!! I'm the same way & would absolutely freak out. Can't wait to see you guys!!