Sunday, March 1, 2009

Spring Training






Today we went to the Astros v. Mets spring training game. Tradition Field, where the Mets play is about 1 mile from our condo. We sat in the grass in the outfield, which ended up being perfect for the boys to run around in and chase their new baseballs. The Mets won 10-1, but we didn't stay long enough to see the end, it was way past nap time. Evan is really into baseball and loves to hit his wiffle ball off of his tee in the backyard. He also insists on watching baseball on TV, which has been rather difficult lately since spring training just started. I actually sat through some Latin league game a few weeks ago to stop the tantrum. If you know me well, you know that I ABHOR watching baseball on TV-too many hours of it during my childhood (still love you dad, but it's so boring!). 

During the game I would give Evan a play by play of what was happening and he would act it out for me. I told him, get in your stance and he'd hold his pretend bat and then he'd swing and start running the bases (that's what he's doing in the one pic-running the bases). I'm positive Evan and Jonathan had a great time at the game, as did the adults. Apparently the Mets farm team plays there all year, so once all our spring training games are over (have to make it to Disney/Braves to see them), then we can go to some cheap games in Port St. Lucie.

As a side note, we went to Friendly's (ice cream free with all the meals, that place is like heaven) to have lunch before the game. When we went into the restaurant, it was 80s and humid, but look at the pictures. When we left the restaurant, it was low 60s/high 50s and windy and freezing. We all had to change in the car on the way to the game.  The day started out like Florida, ended like Maryland.

2 comments:

steph said...

how did you get him to love baseball? I want Eamon to be like that!

Bryan Orme said...

Sorry for contributing to your hatred of watching baseball on TV growing up ;). I have a feeling that you may learn to love it over the years, as it seems like you have many baseball games in your future.

Oh, and by the way, it's 21 degrees here today with 6 inches of snow on the ground, so I'm having a very hard time feeling bad for you that you had to put on a long sleeve shirt b/c it dropped all the way down to 50!

I can't wait for you guys to come up here soon!