Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Christmas 2009

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree

The stockings were hung on the staircase with care :)

I'm running a lot late on my posts lately, but I've just been enjoying some down time after all the chaos that was December. Although it was chaotic, it was just wonderful, we enjoyed each and every second.

Christmas was really special for our family this year as all 3 kids (Charlie, me & Bryan) were actually together for it with my parents. I think this is the first time that has ever happened, nothing like waiting until we were 37, 31 and 29. Having all of us together plus the 3 little ones and 2 on the way was wonderful and a very special Christmas I won't ever forget.

This year was also magical because Evan really understood Christmas this year, both the magical and religious side of it. He was very aware that it was Jesus' birthday and loved to sing Happy Birthday to Jesus just like he liked to sing it to himself. He thinks it's pretty cool that their birthdays are a week apart! And as for Santa, well he knew that he had to be a good boy or Santa would not come for him. All I had to do was start singing "You better watch out, you better not pout..." and his attitude would change instantly. Is it too early to start this for next year?? Evan wanted every toy he ever saw in his life for Christmas, his list grew dramatically each day.

Christmas Eve was spent with Bryan, Laura, my parents, Joe, Evan and I going to our brand new church for the first time for Christmas Eve Mass. It was so special to have our new church open for Christmas, it was a little more "Christmasy" than a high school gym. We went to the children's mass and for the homily, Fr. Greg asked all the kids to come up on the altar. We asked Evan if he wanted to go and he said no, then about 5 seconds later he changed his mind and ran right up there. He sat so well listening to Fr. Greg, I was super impressed. After Mass, we came back home had some dinner and put Evan down for bed early so Santa would come. That night, Laura, Bryan and my parents all spent the night. It was really fun to have them all here preparing for Christmas morning.

The next morning I kept waking up in anticipation for Evan to get up, but he wouldn't wake up. I couldn't take it any longer and at 7:30am I woke him up! Then we rallied the rest of the house and headed down stairs to see if Santa came. He surely did, Evan must have been really great this year. Evan got a million presents, some of his favorites were a trampoline, a storm trooper helmet, an art table and art supplies, a keyboard, lots of characters, a pirate duffle bag, clothes, board games and a smart sports video game.

Posing with his stocking

He was very excited about some present at this point

Helping Aunt Laura & Uncle Bryan open gifts

The trampoline was the last gift he saw, Santa left him a note in his advent calendar telling him there was one more gift outside. The look on his face when he realized what was outside is forever etched in my mind, and also thankfully we captured it on video :). He loves his trampoline so much, that even today as he was jumping on it in our frigid 40 degree weather, he exclaimed "I love you trampoline"!!


Trampoline I love you!

My favorite gift I got this year is my flip camera. Because I was so attached to that, I didn't really take too many pictures. I'm too lazy to post the videos right now, but will post some soon of Evan on the trampoline.

After we finished opening our gifts, we headed over to Charlie and Shannon's (2 blocks away) to see them open theirs. It was really fun getting to watch Maxwell and Audrey and of course Charlie, Shannon and Carol open all their gifts.

Audrey with her stroller and doll

Maxwell got Spiderman Skates!

Maxwell's Big Present from Santa

Later that day, I hosted Christmas dinner for all of us plus some friends and Laura's grandparents. It was a lot of fun and everything turned out so nice. It was incredibly special to me to have everyone at our home. I've always wanted to host big holiday events with lots of family and friends and I got to this year!!! But, of course, no pictures were taken when we looked good. So, you get to see the after guests left pictures of me quickly changing into lounge wear.

Dad (as quick to change as I was), Mom, me & Joe

Laura (15 weeks) and me (30 weeks)
Is there a difference in size? I can hardly tell ;)!

Charlie, Shannon, Audrey, Mom and Dad

Dad, Mom, Laura & Bryan

It was the most wonderful Christmas I can remember and I am really sad it's all over with. As usual, it all goes by way too fast. The magic of Christmas through a child's eyes is just heart warming and well, magical. Next year, we'll have 2 more little ones crawling around. What a blessing!!

No comments: